[X3D educators] X3D for Web Authors course adoption

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.navy.mil
Mon Feb 25 22:59:49 PST 2008

Didier Courtaud wrote:
> Hi Don
>
> Once again thanks a lot for the great job you are doing for us !

de rien, you are welcome

> As I already said, I am professor at part time at the University of Evry
> ( in the south of Paris ). I am actually preparing an X3D course for
> postdoc students that I have plan for Spring 2009.

great

> That is why I am interested to get your slides and translate it into
> French ( if you agree with that). Of course, I will let them accesible
> through your Web site as soon as they get available.

i have asked the open office forum whether there is a way to put the
slidesets under version control, and to have translations of the prose.

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2992

] hi, i've used Impress to create a number of slidesets. i would like to place it under version control and make it possible to have internationalized versions (i.e. translations) into other languages.
]
] am wondering if there is any support for internationalization (i18n) of impress documents themselves. presumably this would involve unzipping it and working with the underlying XML, all without mangling the original document structure.

there is further information on open office internationalization at
	http://l10n.openoffice.org
but it appears to be focused on i18n/l10n for the tool itself, not documents..

> But I have a little problem with your .odp files ( which I prefer since
> I have to modify the content and since I also use Open Office to teach)
>
> Each one has a few but anoying broken images as you can see in the
> attached snapshot of the slide 28 of your Chapter 08.( I checked : it is
> not the case with the PDF file ).
>
> Can you please correct these files and republish them ?

i am happy to correct the problems, but not quite sure why they occur...
when i drag/drop images to margin off on the slide, then move them over
onto the slide, copying images into the file usually seems to work OK.

i'm not sure how to detect this problem on my system since the links
are relative regardless of how i do it.  if you know of a better way
to use OO, please advise.  i guess the only other way to do it is to
download off the web to recheck... OK, did that, i now see the problems
you are referring to.

so, i tried to correct slide 28 and other missing images in chapter 8
but the changes didn't make any difference, unfortunately.  will have
to take another look at it some other time.

fwiw individual presentation updated online.
http://x3dgraphics.com/slidesets/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter08-UserInteractivity.odp

> Thanks by advance

merci beaucoup for the feedback Didier, i will be happy to keep going
and am thrilled that you'd like to do a translation.  looking forward
to further progress.

all the best, Don
--
Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br       work +1.831.656.2149
              MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  fax  +1.831.656.7599